Monday, November 29, 2004

Road Trip Antics

Driving back and forth between Eugene and Portland can be very dull. Or, if you choose, you can make it interesting in a variety of ways. This morning I chose to get involved in the scenery by taking some pictures. Would be a shame to go through all of these trips and not have anything to show for it, eh? So I decided I would start with some pictures of Hawks on fences posts, being as there are quite a number of hawks on fence posts along this particular stretch of I-5. So upon spying a stoic post-sitter, feathers fluffed out in a huff at the speeding metal hulks, I slowed and dropped off onto the shoulder. A perfect view through the window showed a motionless hawk resting on a red and white rebar fence post. Perfect. I gathered up my camera, put on the zoom lens and lowered the window. I raised the camera and turned it on, looked up, and the hawk was, as you can guess, gone.

A few miles later, having left the camera out and at the ready, I spied another hawk. I pulled the car over slowly, and stopped the motor. There was a noticeable shake at the last stop, so I decided to shut off to avoid any blur. I lifted the camera while lowering the window and lo, again the hawk had flown the coop.

For the rest of the drive I looked for hawks and saw not a one. Plenty of geese in formation. A few sheep. I think those two hawks let the rest know that I was out with the camera. Shucks. I will have to try next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home