Monday, October 18, 2004

Three Days

My great grandmother is ninety-two years old and she just entered hospice care and I am wondering how my life became so snarled that scheduling time to visit her in Oklahoma is turning out to be a labor the likes of which Hercules would fear to grapple. We're taking Austin because he needs to see everyone. With three, then, the cost is dear, but if it were just that, I think Citibank would appreciate the donation to their coffers.

But, no. There are two jobs, both inflexible. Both demanding the way in which only the American Corporation can be demanding. And each child has another parent whose motivation is at best uncooperative, though mulish is a more flavorful term. Siobhan has soccer every weekend, and she rightfully wants her mom to be there. She is a fierce player and a marvel to watch. So weekends are tight. Austin has his grandma's birthday to attend on one weekend soon, and, since he is doing well in school, we all want him to keep up his pace, so weekdays are out of the question.

All I'm asking for is three days, here. My future wife is wearing my great grandmother's wedding band, and I would like them to meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home