Saturday, December 11, 2004

Movies Today

I rented the Day After Tomorrow, which I knew was going to be a bad movie. My son wanted to see it, and in some way, I wanted to see it just to corroborate my preconceptions. So I was already eyeing the DVD disc suspiciously when I slid it into the player. First thing to come on was, of course, previews. Agh! I hate this crap. I jammed on the buttons hoping to somehow miraculously strike the magic button that would go directly to the beginning of the movie, but no luck. I am hampered by remote illiteracy, and so had to hand over the wand to my mother. She found the skip, and pressed it only to be thwarted by the disc!

These are the bane of movies these days: commercials, legal statements, previews and, my personal pet peeve, the dreaded menu. How many times have I put in the movie, sat back and prepared for a grand adventure, only to find myself lost in swirling menu options thwacking the remote on the coffee table in an attempt to play the freaking movie.

But I have a solution. Oh yes. What we should do is go to every movie executive and every marketing guru and every lawyer in hollywood and steal their music cds. Then, we give them back, but with a change. Every song on every cd will have an unskippable 20 second commercial, preview of another song or legal statement. See how they like it when they go to listen to JimI Hendrix and find a 20 second preview for Celiene Dion and a statement from some lawyer about not playing this song to groups of 20 or more people,which would count as a rebroadcast. Screw them. Open up the airwaves. Down with copyright!

Or something like that.

Oh, and The Day After Tomorrow sucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home