Monday, January 10, 2005

How to Avoid Customers

We are planning a family outing for the beach this weekend. One night only. And we though of going to a hotel we previously visited and liked which was right on the beach. So I called the last known number. They have no web presence. I hoped this was in our favor as it meant less traffic to the hotel. I dialed and:

Someone with a thick mexican accent answered.
"hello?"
"yeah hi. Is this the lawrensea hotel?"
"yes."
"I would like to ask about availability for this weekend."
"ok."
"Um. Are there any rooms available?"
"Joo wannatahlk mananahair?"
"excuse me?"
"Joo wannatahlk mananahair?"
"I'm sorry."
"Joo wannatahlk mananahair?"
"The manager? Yes. Please."
"Nine."
"Excuse me?"
"Nine. Six. One."
I start writing these numbers down.
"Eight. Eight. Five. Seven."
"Ok."
"Please."
Click. He hangs up.
"Thanks," I say into the phone. I imagined he was the janitor. Or maybe I had gotten a number of one of the rooms, and he was a patron steering me right. So I called the new number.

"Halo." This guy sounds either mexican or maybe east indian, but it might also be the *same guy*.
"Yes, is this the lawrensea Hotel?"
"Yes."
"I would like to see about availability for this weekend."
"Yes."
"For saturday night."
"Yes. We don't not take reservations."
"Excuse me?"
"Come by. Just this weekend."
"Ok."
"Just come by this weekend. No reservation, thank you. There will be room."
"Ok."
Click.

Now I am worried. Not only am I worried about finding another hotel, but it might be that some strange anti-business cadre has hijacked this once busy hotel.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you stay at the Lawrensea Hotel??

10:08 AM  
Blogger moonfeather's flight said...

No we did not. We stayed at the Alpine Chalet just north of Newport. Interestingly, we passed the lawrensea and found it to be well populated with cars. Ha! Mr. who-ever-runs-the-place would have juked us out of a room.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home