Monday, November 15, 2004

Here Here!

My childhood. My son and I played DnD this past weekend. I wanted to play the game to see if it would light that spark that might set him off and running. It was just him and me. We only played for about an hour and half at a time, and really it was a lot of just working out the kinks and getting him used to the idea, and getting me back in the zone of rules. He did not seem too interested. I mean, he enjoyed the game, but didn't seem as inspired as I was when I first played to make things, to read things, to do something with the game. When I was young and played this game for the first time, I incessantly absorbed everything I could find even dimly related to the game. DnD taught me writing, reading, math, architecture, painting, history, cartography, mythology, social skills and a myriad of other topics as well as giving me the gift of imagination. What a gift. Honestly, perhaps the best gift of all.

I hope we can find my son something that captures his heart like that. It probably isn’t DnD, however, because when we stopped playing, he was done with the game. The miniatures and dice are still on my table because I don’t want to move them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home